The Study and Learning Skills Program (SLSS) is offered to students registered with the McBurney Disability Resource Center. Students schedule individual appointments with trained study skills specialists to discuss ways to study more effectively. The primary appointment topics include the following:
- Scheduling and time management
- Exam preparation
- Organizing papers/projects
- Dealing with procrastination
Students are provided with tips on how to be a more successful student. At their first appointment, all students are given a copy of the GUTS Study Skills Handbook. Additional materials, such as calendars and time management grids, are distributed as well.
Schedule a SLSS Appointment Online
To make an appointment with a Study and Learning Skills Specialist, you can click on the WiscCal Schedule Assistant links below, call (608)263-2741, or text (608)225-7956 for the McBurney Front Desk . Please let us know if you cannot attend your appointment.
- Schedule 30 or 60 minute appointment with Sophia (Spring 2019)
- Monday: 9:00 am – noon
- Wednesday: 9:00 am – noon
- Friday: 9:00 am – 11:00 am
- Hello! I’m Sophia, a Study and Learning Skills Specialist. I am a fourth year undergraduate majoring in Rehabilitation Psychology with certificates in LGBT Studies and Leadership. I enjoy traveling, biking, and spending time with family and friends. My areas of interest in study skills are organization and note-taking skills. I’m excited to work with you!
- Schedule 30 or 60 minute appointment with Nicole (Spring 2019)
- Tuesday: 9:00 am to 12:30 pm
- Thursday: 9:00 am to noon
- Hi everyone! My name is Nicole and I have been a SLSS team member at McBurney since January 2016. I was born and raised in the small town of Manitowoc, Wisconsin that lies on the shores of Lake Michigan. I am a senior at UW Madison, majoring in rehabilitation psychology. Following undergrad, I am planning to continue my education in graduate school to become an Occupational Therapist (OT). As a SLSS staff, I specialize in study skills areas of time management and organizational skills. Outside of my academic pursuits I have a love for traveling and meeting new people. A fun fact about me is that I studied abroad in London, England!
- Schedule 30 or 60 minute appointment with Makayla (Spring 2019)
- Tuesday: 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
- Thursday: 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm
- Friday: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Hi everyone, I’m Makayla, a Study and Learning Skills Specialist at McBurney. I am a sophomore studying political science and I plan to go to Law school after I complete my undergrad degree. My favorite academic skills to work with are memorization skills and test preparation. In my free time I enjoy working out, spending time with friends on campus, and meeting new people!
By Appointment Only
How long are SLSS appointments?
30 or 60 minutes
How often can I schedule an appointment?
We find it works best to schedule enough time between appointments for you to try out the strategies. This can be every week, every other week, or once a month.
How do I get started with SLSS?
Please talk to your Accommodation Specialist about a referral to SLSS.
For more information, contact: