Apply for Accommodations

Important Dates & Reminders

  • Freshmen Students: McBurney Orientation and Service Training (MOST) for Fall 2024 will be available during the summer after students attend SOAR and will consist of two main parts that must be completed:
    • MOST Accommodations Trainings – Which focus on teaching students how accommodations are utilized and communicated to instructors here at UW-Madison
    • MOST Online Canvas Course – Which focuses on additional resources and supports that students can access to assist them in orienting to campus and navigating UW-Madison as a student with a disability.
  • Freshmen/Transfer Students: Please request accommodations for placement tests and SOAR, if needed.
  • Incoming Fall Students: Please apply for accommodations no later than the end of June (or by April 1st if requesting Housing Accommodations). This helps us accommodate the large numbers of new students each fall. Even if you are unsure about using accommodations, you can establish eligibility now, so accommodations can be implemented more quickly should you need them.

3 Steps to Apply for Accommodations

1. Complete the McBurney Connect Student Online Application

2. Schedule and Participate in an Initial Meeting (In-Person, Phone or Video Conference)

  • You will receive an email from your assigned access consultant.  (If you do not receive an email from your access consultant within 5 business days of submitting the online application, please check your junk mail and then contact us.)
  • The initial meeting is a conversation with your access consultant in-person, by phone, or by video conference about your accommodation requests, accommodation history, and the impact of your condition(s).

3. Start gathering and submitting documentation of your disability(s)

  • Note: Please ask your Access Consultant to email you a link to upload documentation directly into McBurney Connect or send to the office fax (608) 265-2998.  
  • Submit any relevant disability-related documentation that you have on hand (e.g., IEP or 504 plan, etc.)
  • Work on getting copies of the necessary documentation listed in the chart below.
  • If no formal diagnosis, see Undiagnosed Students info
Disability Type Appropriate Documentation to Submit to McBurney
Learning Disability Most recent psychoeducational evaluation (within last 3-5 years preferred);


IEP/504 plan containing information about the disabling condition

(See also Learning Disability Documentation Guidelines page for additional information.)

AD/HD AD/HD Disability Assessment Form

A recent psychoeducational evaluation (within the last 3 years for high school students and the last 5 years for adults) with test analysis and interpretation may be submitted in lieu of the AD/HD Disability Assessment Form.

Psychiatric/Mental Health Psychiatric Disability Assessment Form
Deaf/Hard of Hearing General Disability Assessment Form plus an audiological evaluation and/or audiogram, no older than 3 years if loss is progressive
Mobility, Systemic,  or Health-Related Disabilities General Disability Assessment Form
Low Vision or Blindness General Disability Assessment Form and vision exam/evaluation report from an appropriate eye care professional, such as an ophthalmologist, optometrist, or low vision specialist
Traumatic Brain Injury General Disability Assessment Form

A recent neuropsychological assessment (within the last 3 years for high school students and the last 5 years for adults) with test analysis and interpretation may also be required.

Next Steps and Frequently Asked Questions

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What Happens After You Are Found Eligible for Services?

  • You will receive instructions for completing training on all approved accommodations that require training.
  • Your access consultant will record all recommended accommodations in McBurney Connect. You can view approved accommodations in McBurney Connect by clicking on “My Eligibility”.
  • You will need to follow procedures for sending Student Accommodation Letters and requesting accommodations that you learned about during training.
  • You should contact McBurney staff if you are experiencing any issues.

What if You Will be Requesting Sign Language Interpreters, CART/C-Print Captioning, Closed Captioning, or Braille?

These accommodations take the longest to arrange since they may involve recruiting new staff.

If you have applied to UW-Madison, you can complete the “McBurney Connect Student Application” before you are admitted.
If you have not yet applied to UW-Madison, but have questions or are considering UW-Madison, please email McBurney Center Transition Services.

How long does it take to receive accommodations?

Students should allow enough time to 1) complete the eligibility determination process and 2) make arrangements for accommodations. Turnaround times will depend upon time of year, how quickly appropriate disability documentation is submitted, and the accommodations being requested. Once you have completed the eligibility process, some accommodations such as alternative testing and notetaking can generally be arranged in a few weeks with the help of instructors. Accommodations such as sign language interpreting, captioning/CART, closed captioning, and braille may take up to 8 weeks to arrange.