Housing Accommodations

University Housing Accommodations

The McBurney Disability Resource Center is the designated entity on campus to collect and review all disability documentation as it relates to disability-related housing accommodations for University Housing (i.e. on-campus residence halls and apartments). While students can contact the University Housing Assignment Office by email or by phone (voice/Relay711) (608)262-2522 with questions about University Housing accommodations, disability or medical documentation is sent to the McBurney Center.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Who is eligible for University Housing accommodations?

Students with documented long-term or permanent disabilities or serious medical conditions may request University Housing accommodations. To be eligible for housing accommodations the student must have a disability, the disability must necessitate adjustments to the living environment, and the request process must be completed before room assignments are made.

University Housing will work to fill accommodation requests for students who acquire a disability or medical condition after room assignments are made; however, some accommodations may be limited by housing availability.

If you will be living in off-campus housing (including private apartments or private residence halls), please work directly with their leasing contact or office and review the Private (“Off-Campus”) Housing and Accommodations info below

How do I request disability-related housing accommodations for University Housing?

You need to follow the standard University Housing contract and assignment process for all students by the deadline listed in your  My UW Housing portal (Step 1a. OR 1b) AND, in parallel, request disability-related housing accommodations (Step 2.) through the McBurney Center so accommodations can be considered in your assignment.  The My UW Housing portal includes a place for you to indicate if you need disability-related housing accommodations.

Step 1a. Undergraduates: Completing the Standard Steps for University Housing Residence Halls

  1. Students who are offered a Housing contract complete the steps outlined for them in their My UW Housing portal
  2. Review residence hall information.
    1. Some resources include the Residence Hall ComparisonResidence Hall InformationDining Locations & HoursResidential Learning Communities, and the Campus Map (search for “residence hall”), for more information and locations.
    2. Consider a General Residential Hall Tour.
    3. If you have a significant mobility limitation that requires accommodation, tours of some of the halls and rooms can be arranged. Please be aware that very few residence hall rooms have private bathrooms.
  3. University Housing will contact you or your McBurney Center access consultant with any questions about your housing accommodations during or after the hall assignment process.

Step 1b. Undergraduate Students with Families and Graduate Students: Completing the Standard Steps for University Housing Apartments

  1. Read more about the University Apartments.
  2. Apply Online for University Apartments as soon as you are interested in studying at UW-Madison. It is important to apply early as the University Apartments usually fill up quickly.
  3. If you become eligible for a lease, University Housing will contact you or your McBurney Center access consultant with any questions about your housing accommodations during or after the apartment assignment process.

Step 2. Completing the Accommodation Request Steps for University Housing

Note: Students are encouraged to complete the following steps by May 1st. Accommodations for requests made after May 1st may be limited by housing availability.

  1. Indicate in your My UW Housing portal that you need disability-related housing accommodations
  2. Follow the McBurney Center instructions to Apply for Accommodations and indicate you are requesting University Housing accommodations.
  3. After the appropriate documentation has been submitted and you have completed the initial meeting, your McBurney Center access consultant will determine your eligibility for services and make a recommendation to University Housing regarding your housing accommodation requests. All recommendations are made on a case by case basis and through an interactive process. Early contact with both University Housing and the McBurney Center is critical in order to fairly assess your needs and identify reasonable housing accommodations.
  4. New freshman living in the residence halls are encouraged to register for and attend the McBurney Center MOST orientation program so that they can move in early.

Under what circumstances could a housing accommodation request be denied?

Requests are generally denied for three reasons:

  1. Documentation does not indicate a substantial limitation to a major life activity (i.e., the student does not have a disability).
  2. The disability-related need does not require an alteration to the living environment. For example, students with AD/HD, learning disabilities or psychological disabilities who request a private room in order to have a quiet study area can have that need met through use of the libraries and other spaces around campus that are suitable for quiet study.
  3. A student makes a late request for a room that is no longer available. For example, University Housing has wheelchair accessible rooms; however, all rooms are assigned during the room selection process. Once the assignments are made, students are not then reassigned or denied housing to accommodate a late request. To avoid this situation, it is imperative that you contact University Housing and the McBurney Center as soon as you believe you will need a housing accommodation.

Remember, housing assignments will be based on disability-related needs, not requests to live in a specific residence hall. Not all residence halls are able to accommodate students in the same way. If a student’s top choices for residence halls are already filled or are unable to meet the student’s disability-related needs, the student will be assigned to another residence hall. For instance, if a student with a mobility disability is requesting a specific centrally located dorm due to mobility concerns and that dorm is either full or is not equipped with other accessible amenities, the student may be placed in another centrally located dorm that can accommodate their needs.

Requests for Air Conditioning (AC) as a Disability-Related Accommodation

University Housing will install air conditioner units for students who require air conditioning for disability-related reasons and who are not assigned to a room with central air.

Students who do not have an approved accommodation can fill out a form in My UW Housing to agree to the terms and conditions to bring their own air conditioning unit (from a list of approved AC units) if living in a residence hall without central air or air conditioning.

Special Dietary Requirements

If you are concerned about your diet or nutrition, University Housing has registered dietitians on staff that would be available to speak to you. Any questions or comments may be emailed to dining services.

Assistance Animals

Eligibility to have an assistance animal accompany a student in University Housing is determined by the McBurney Disability Resource Center.

Additional Information

For further information regarding University Housing and disability-related accommodation requests, please visit University Housing’s “Accommodation Requests” page .

Private ("Off-Campus") Housing and Accommodations

The resources listed below are for students who will not be living in UW-Madison Housing. Please note that housing options listed as “private residence halls” are not owned by UW-Madison.

Students who need disability-related housing accommodations are encouraged to visit rental units before signing a lease to ensure their individual accessibility needs can be met.

Private Housing Listings

Accessible Housing Resource

Access to Independence is Madison’s Independent Living Center. They provide many services including housing information. They have handouts with tips on locating accessible housing in the Madison area. They are happy to answer students’ specific questions and assist with the accessible housing search. They often get notices from local housing providers advertising accessible units. Ask to speak with one of their Independent Living Specialists.

Related links: