The McBurney Center can coordinate real-time CART captioning services on a fee for service basis when UW-Madison is the primary sponsor or host. This service relies on McBurney Disability Resource Center captioning staff availability.
- Go McBurney Connect
- Click “Departments – Schedule Interpreting and Captioning”
- Log in using your NetID
- For First Request Only: Read the Campus Service Agreement and check that you agree to the terms
- For First Request Only: Enter your payment information. You will need to either enter your UDDS number (see UW-Madison UDDS online lookup) or indicate that you will be paying with a check or money order to proceed to create your request
- Complete the request form
- Click “Submit”
- Click “Save Changes and Submit for Review” at the bottom of the bottom of Create a Service Request page. If you do not click on the final “Save Changes and Submit for Review” button your request will not be sent to the Coordinator
If your request is filled, you will receive a email letting you know who the captioner/CART provider will be for your request. If the McBurney Center is unable to fill your request, we will refer you to agency or individual captioner/CART providers.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
How much does hiring a CART captioning provider cost through the McBurney Center?
- CART captioning services are billed at $110 per hour, with a two-hour minimum for each CART provider. Additional hours are billed in ½ hour increments.
- CART assignments over two hours may require two CART providers. McBurney will consult with the department and determine if an additional CART provider is needed.
- Preferred payment is through a department UDDS number. If a UDDS number is used, the requestor will be notified when the payment is transferred to the McBurney Center. If a UDDS number is not used, payment may be made by check or money order. Payment type must be specified before a CART provider will be scheduled.
Am I required to use the McBurney Center as a Captioning Provider?
No, you may also contact a Captioner/CART provider or an agency directly
- Captioning Provider Listing (Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing link)
- Wisconsin Provider Directory (National Court Reporters Association link)
NOTE: Captioners who are already McBurney DHH Hourly Program staff will need to be added to your payroll.
I do not know the exact location of my request yet, should I make the request now anyway?
Yes, the earlier we have the request, the more time we have to find a qualified captioner, as CART providers can be booked up weeks in advance. Please create your request and indicate either the approximate location (e.g. building without a room number) or that the location will be determined.
Funding Captioning/Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) Service Costs
Student Accommodations Funding Policy (“Funding and Coordinating Accommodations for UW Students with Disabilities Policy”)
For more information, contact: