Personal Care Resources

Students requiring person care for activities of daily living (ADLs) are encouraged to contact the Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) of Dane County for information about personal care options in the Madison area, including IRIS (Include, Respect, I Self-Direct), Family Care, and Family Care Partnership Program.   The ADRC is readily available by both phone and email, and they can provide info on funding options, applying for services, local agencies, and transferring services between regions.

Students should apply for and beginning planning for personal care services as soon as they have been admitted and decide to attend UW-Madison, as the process can take several months and may include waiting lists or transferring services/programs.  Some students use programs that permit them to hire their own staff for care, while other students work with personal care agencies that provide the staffing.

Students working with a program where they hire their own personal care staff can contact Access to Independence for resources on managing personal care workers (e.g. advertising, hiring and supervisory issues).  Students commonly recruit personal care staff by posting openings on the Non-UW Positions Student Jobs site.

For students living in UW Housing residence halls, the McBurney Center works with the student and Housing to facilitate card access for personal care staff.

Related links: