About the Change
The McBurney Center implemented a new electronic accommodation and case management system called McBurney Connect starting Summer 2018. Through McBurney Connect, students generate a Faculty Notification Letter for each class section in which they are requesting accommodations. The notification letters will replace the laminated student VISAs (Verified Individualized Services and Accommodations plan) and will be sent to course instructors of record via email.
As a result of this new system, instructors will now receive customized information about classroom accommodations that are specific to each course, as students will select just those accommodations that are needed for each class. Students will still be instructed to meet with faculty to discuss their accommodations.
In addition to receiving emailed notification letters, an exciting feature of McBurney Connect is an online instructor portal. By using their NetID and password, instructors are able to log in to McBurney Connect to see a list of students who have requested accommodations in each of their courses. The instructor portal will also serve as a central location to view each student’s Faculty Notification Letter.
- Faculty Notification Letters for Summer 2018 were available in McBurney Connect starting May 14.
- Faculty Notification Letters for Fall 2018 will be available in McBurney Connect starting mid-August (about 2 weeks before the start of classes).
Overview of the Accommodation Process
The overall accommodation process remains substantially the same. What is changing is how instructors receive the written accommodation plan from students.
- Students approved for disability-related accommodations are entered into McBurney Connect based on individualized review and eligibility process.
- Students log in to McBurney Connect to select their accommodations and schedule Faculty Notification Letters specific to each class.
- McBurney Connect will email Faculty Notification Letters to instructors two weeks before classes start, and then on an ongoing basis after that.
- Students will still be expected to meet with instructors in a timely manner, even though their accommodation plans are delivered via email.
- Instructors can log into McBurney Connect to see a list of students who have requested accommodations for each of their courses, including their Faculty Notification Letters